If your goal is to meet with senior people in the industry, the IAB Leadership Conference is among the best of the year. The conference draws mainly senior people, has fairly good content (high praise for MadTech conferences), and everyone is under one roof (unlike CES, Mobile World Congress, SXSW, etc.)
It does suffer from a common problem, however: There are more vendors than buyers. But ratios are better and the people who attend – including publishers, agencies, and brands – are senior and engaged.
- MadTech is capable of solving the #FakeNews problem. We helped create it, therefore we have to own our portion of the solution.
- Transparency is the new watchword for 2017:
- Procter & Gamble have thrown the gauntlet down, calling on the digital media industry to become transparent in the face of “crappy advertising accompanied by even crappier viewing experiences.”
- Mobile continues to grow and is making life more complicated and evermore “real time.”
- Storytelling still matters (organizers could recycle this talk every year — it will not change).
- Measurement and attribution are going to be top industry focuses in 2017.
- Google, our personal misgivings aside, continues to push ideas, tools, and commitments to an “open web.”
- Data is getting smarter and performing better. It is also consolidating quickly, creating new challenges, particularly if everyone is using the same targeting data.
- Content is still king, but the good publishers have valued short term revenue over their readers and viewers, and have let Facebook and other walled gardens dis-intermediate them from their community.
- Consumers have the all the power to select which content they choose.
Observations from outside of the formal conference presentations:
- Around 1,000 people paid to attend; another 200 showed up to hang out in the bar.
- Attendees are getting older – far fewer people are staying out until 4AM.
- I still had to get on an airplane to meet with people who work within just a few miles of me.
- It remains a male-dominated industry, but the signs of change are definitely clear. This change needs to move along a little faster.
- Diversity. Why is #IABSoWhite ? And it doesn’t stop there.
- This industry is still driven by geeks, nerds, and misfits (thank goodness)!
Author: Jonathon Shaevitz
Jonathon Shaevitz is the CEO of Industry Index.